What Does a Business Analyst Do?
Business Analysts(BA) are the people who are responsible for analysing and understanding the data to make sure the business is moving in the right direction.
To make the right decisions for a business, BA needs to communicate, deal and negotiate with many departments in the company; they need to wear many hats to understand the data from the particular department’s point of view to evaluate implications on that department.
Any business decisions can have an impact on functionality of different departments to make significant business decisions, they work cross-functionally with the product team, marketing team, sales team, analytics team, tech team, finance team and others depending on the situations and problem.
Every department will have a different point of view; business analysts are responsible for people to make suitable business models based on the data and inputs from all stakeholders.
Based on the inputs of the department they need to take decisions which will help the business grow.
So, a Business Analyst is the person who has business acumen with data analysis skills for any data-driven organizations they are micro CEOs.
Hope you understand now the criticality and importance of the business analyst for any business.
Let’s dig down into the skills you required for being a successful business analyst.
Business Analyst Skills
People looking to be successful business analysts need to have excellent presentation skills, business analysts also need to be skilled communicators and storytellers.
What Does a Business Analyst Need to Know?
Things to learn for business analysts?
Skills a business analyst should have?
Business analyst roles and responsibilities
For being Business Analyst the certifications are not mandatory, It’s optional.
Most companies look for industry specific specialized knowledge to hire BAs.
But you will face a hard time getting the interviews with just your knowledge if you have never worked in that industry or as a Business Analyst.
Also, typically Business Analysts with certifications tend to earn more than those who are not certified.
Certifications will help you improve overall performance as you will get to learn from the different industry experts.
Course and certifications are more focused, structured and deliver more systematic knowledge, and skill required for being a better Business Analyst.
Here is a list of the best Online Courses and Certifications which will help you launch your career as Business Analyst.
This list for best courses has been curated and compiled by the industry experts who are typically your hiring managers also.
What are the different types of business analysts?
Business Process Analyst
IT Project Coordinator
Information Technology Lead
Information Technology Manager
Business Systems Analyst
IT Business Analyst
User Experience Designer
Business Solution Architect
Chief Information Officer
Subject Matter Expert
Digital Media Consultant
Technical Data Analyst
Enterprise Solutions Designer
Business Intelligence Analyst
Technical Communications Analyst
Enterprise Process Engineer
Agile Business Analyst
Business Analyst (business only – no IT)
Business Process Analyst (deals with process modeling – maybe business only or may have technical skills)
Top 11 business analyst courses
- Business Analytics (Wharton University of Pennsylvania)
- Business Analytics: Decision Making Using Data (University of Cambridge)
- Business Analytics Certification (Coursera)
- Business Analytics by Columbia University (edX)
- Business Analysis Degrees and Certificates by Global Universities (Coursera)
- College Business Analysis Courses & Certificates (edX)
- Short Term Business Analysis Courses (Udemy)
- Business Analysis Training (LinkedIn Learning – Lynda)
- Certificate Program in Business Analysis (UC Berkeley Extension)
- Business Analysis Certificate Program (UC Davis)
- Business Analysis -Online (Duke University)
Top 7 business analyst certifications
- IIBA Entry Certificate in Business Analysis (ECBA)
- IIBA Certification of Competency in Business Analysis (CCBA)
- IIBA Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP)
- IIBA Agile Analysis Certification (AAC)
- IQBBA Certified Foundation Level Business Analyst (CFLBA)
- IREB Certified Professional for Requirements Engineering (CPRE)
- PMI-Professional in Business Analysis (PBA) Certification
Business Analyst Salary
In the US, the starting salary range of Business Analysts is between $48,000 to $100,000 per year.
Average Business Analyst Salary in India is 6.5 LPA.